- Who We Are
- What We Do
- Get Involved
- Public Square
Location: Costa Mesa, CA
Planning Studio Manager
JZMK Partners is one of the most respected and sought-after architectural and planning firms in the global marketplace today. The firm's influence and geographic project experience stretches from the Western United States to over fifteen countries worldwide. Since 1960, JZMK Partners has distinguished itself as an innovative problem solver in the planning and design of residential, master plan community, urban infill, mixed-use, luxury and resort design, and senior communities. Our firm’s work has been recognized nationally and internationally as one of the premier boutique planning and design offices in the world.
JZMK office is located in a redesigned creative office environment in Costa Mesa, CA., nearby to the Orange County Performing Arts Centers and cultural hub. Our office Core Values focus on a high level of Integrity, Mutual Respect, and Spirt of Partnership. We are a friendly group with numerous social events, monthly office presentations, and a highly collaborative work environment. Our goals toward high level planning and design provide an inspired culture of creativity, comradery, and collaboration.
The Studio Manager Position is responsible for coordinating directly with the Planning Director to assist in all phases of site planning and master plan community development. The Studio Manager is directly involved with coordination of project budgeting and staff management to provide plans and solutions for a variety of urban infill, master plan community, mixed use development, senior community, and resort community projects. The work is inspirational and high paced within a highly creative and collaborative solution-based environment.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Coordinate with the Planning Director in planning, design, execution, monitoring, communication, controlling, and closure of projects.
- Responsible for establishing staff scheduling and management for new projects and additional service requests. Responsible for a clear understanding of the scope of work and time to complete.
- Provides a lead role in the coordination of determined planning projects with clients, jurisdictions, and consultants. Will lead a team of Intermediate and Junior level planners.
- Responsible for coordination and development of Community Design Guidelines, consultant coordination, related plans and graphics, text, and composition.
- Promotes and expands the use of various software platforms as tools in the development of the planning documents. Introduces new procedures to the Planning Studio to keep current with up-to-date techniques.
- Works with planning support staff as needed to ensure that deliverables are technically resolved to client’s expectations. Responsible for quality control and producing planning documents in accordance with office standards, codes, and regulations.
- Provides mentoring, leadership and inspiration to Planning Staff. Maintains and assures positive morale. Meets informally as needed with Planning Director, to assure proper and positive communication.
Required Skills and Abilities
- Minimum of ten (10) years’ experience with the planning of master plan communities, residential, mixed-use and urban infill projects with experience in project management, client/consultant contact, and project workshop experience.
- Strong software proficiency and skills in digital project development. Proficiency in CAD required. with high proficiency in Sketchup, Photo-Shop, In-Design and Graphic Production desired.
- Must possess a thorough knowledge of planning and zoning codes for all project sizes and types that the firm plans. Familiarity and knowledge of General Plans, Specific Plans, Design Guidelines, and Planning related documents is beneficial.
- Highly organized, detail-driven, and conscientious with ability to work in a collaborative team environment. Must possess demonstrated leadership experience and effective communication skills (both verbally and writing).
- Minimum of Bachelor of Planning (4-year) or Bachelor of Landscape Architecture (4-year)
- Membership in APA, AICP, ASLA, LEED Accreditation is preferred but not required.