- Who We Are
- What We Do
- Get Involved
- Public Square
Friday, August 16, 2019
Location: Kingston, NY
Starting Salary: $40,309 (Annually) +benefits including Health, Dental and Vision insurance, Paid time off (vacation, personal and sick) and enrollment in the New York State Retirement System.
The City is seeking a qualified applicant to fill a position of Safety Coordinator with the Department of Public Works.
- Responsible for the performance of a variety of functions related to the administration of a Municipal Safety Program.
- This position requires the utmost confidentiality in dealing with employee records and business information.
- The employee performs a variety of routine and complex technical and professional work analyzing and compiling data.
- Work is performed under the supervision of the Superintendent and/or Deputy Superintendent of Public Works with leeway for the exercise of independent judgment.
- Does related work as required.
Interested applicants should have:
- good knowledge of federal, state and local regulations, rules and laws pertaining to health and safety;
- working knowledge of the City’s insurance and Worker’s Compensation program;
- good knowledge of construction industry and its related tools, machinery and procedures;
- ability to compile data and prepare correspondence, reports and other materials;
- ability to establish and maintain cooperative relationships;
- ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing;
- thorough knowledge of current computer software such as Microsoft Word, Excel;
- good judgment; tact; initiative and resourcefulness; dependability;
- physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position.
Minimum Qualifications: Graduation from high school or possession of a high school equivalency diploma AND
- A. Graduation from a regionally accredited or New York State registered two-year college with an Associate’s Degree and one (1) year of experience which shall have involved responsibility for the administration, training, coordination, or enforcement of job safety regulations; OR
- B. Three (3) years’ experience as outlined in (A) above.
- NOTE: Education may be substituted for experience on a year-to-year basis.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS: Must obtain a Class B CDL within six (6) months of appointment which will include air brakes and tank endorsement.
Applications must be received in the the Civil Service Office by Friday, August 16, 2019 no later than 4:00pm. Applications for this position may be obtained from the Civil Service Office in City Hall, Ground Floor, 420 Broadway, Kingston, NY 12401 or on our website at www.kingston-ny.gov under the Employment tab.
This posting is in the competitive class. The position will be filled on a provisional basis. Provisional appointments mean the incumbent must take the Civil Service examination when it is offered and be among the top three willing to accept appointment. For more information about Civil Service employment call (845) 334-3921.