- Who We Are
- What We Do
- Get Involved
- Public Square
Wednesday, September 18, 2019
Location: McLean County, IL
Regional Planning Executive Director
The McLean County Regional Planning Commission, in collaboration with its intergovernmental partners, McLean County, the City of Bloomington, and the Town of Normal, seeks candidates for the position of Executive Director.
Learn more about the role by viewing the McLean County Regional Planning Executive Director Brochure
We are currently seeking a Sr Planning Design Professional to join our team. As a Sr Planning Design Professional, you will be responsible for working with the project team to assist overall effort of completing various project phases.
The McLean County Regional Planning Commission (MCRPC) partners with a diverse array of public and private entities. Through planning, we develop a vibrant sense of place using local policies and practices regarding land use, infrastructure, and community facilities.
The Executive Director will serve as the Chief Executive for MCRPC serving a nearly 1,200 square mile region in central Illinois, with a population of over 173,000. The Executive Director serves as an administrator, leader, and operational executive for the Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) and the Regional Planning Commission (RPC). Operations include establishing and implementing the Strategic Plan for MCRPC and performing planning and supervisory functions. The Executive Director will ensure that MCRPC consistently pursues, considers, and appropriately implements best practices and maximizes collaborative opportunities with municipalities and other partners. Detailed information about MCRPC is found at https://mcplan.org/.
CRPC serves as the leader for planning tomorrow’s McLean County by bringing expert planning, deep local knowledge, and vibrant public participation to shape our future to promote opportunity, livability, and sustainability. In addition, the Executive Director of the MCRPC provides guidance, oversight and executive leadership in managing the financial and operational needs of MCRPC, using the following values:
- Regionalism: The cornerstone of our existence, our unique regional perspective provides us the vantage point to address issues that extend beyond traditional boundaries. To that end, we are the catalyst for building consensus from diverse viewpoints; we provide forums that facilitate regional dialogue; and, our planning processes promote regional unity.
- Governance: We feel policy decisions are best made by the level of government closest to the people. We directly involve local governments in our decision-making processes, as operated through the Commission (an executive board of local government and agency representatives).
- Service: We serve the planning needs of communities of McLean County, individually and collectively, by advancing the recognition that healthy communities balance diverse needs; and, by working collaboratively with local governments, area organizations, private entities and other public-private efforts to achieve that balance.
- Innovation: We recognize our communities are best served by our ability to anticipate the consequences of dynamic change. We focus on innovative solutions to both existing and future challenges facing local governments and the region, grounded in respect for our history and culture.
- Advocacy: We advocate on behalf of our regional community, at all levels of government. We maintain an objective and impartial approach to issues; and, we adhere to strong standards of professionalism in all aspects of our work, for the betterment of the region.
- Inclusion: We engage the public in an open and broadly participatory planning process. We seek active participation and welcome alternative views of all groups; and we ensure that all citizens can observe, debate, question, and participate in the planning process.
- Professionalism and Excellence: We provide high quality services through well-trained, technically proficient staff.
- Visionary: Displays passion and optimism; inspires respect and trust; mobilizes others to fulfill the vision; provides vision and inspiration to other employees
- Delegation: Delegates work assignments; matches the responsibility to the person; gives authority to work independently; sets expectations and monitors delegated activities; provides recognition for results
- Customer Service: Provides excellent customer service; responds promptly to customer needs; solicits customer feedback to improve service
- Quality Management: Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; fosters quality focus in others; improves process, products and services
- Project Management: Develops project plans; coordinates projects; communicates changes and progress; completes projects on time and within budget; manages project team activities
- Business Acumen: Understands business implications of decisions; demonstrates knowledge of MCRPC's business and competition; aligns work with strategic goals
- Cost Consciousness: Works within approved budget; develops and implements cost saving measures; contributes to profits and revenue; conserves organizational resources
- Board Relations: Displays skills at developing, building, and sustaining an excellent working relationship with the Board; an experienced leader with the background and skills ensure the Board is properly constituted and trained to conduct effective governance and to chart a course for the McLean County’s future.
- Communication: Have a demonstrated ability to purposefully build connections and relationships with stakeholders
Education and Experience:
The successful candidate will possess a bachelor’s degree in planning or a closely related field.
A master’s degree in planning or closely related field is strongly preferred. In addition,
- MPO experience and AICP certification are preferred
- Five (5) years of progressively responsible experience in a planning agency or firm
- Two (2) years in a supervisory role
- Or any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience that provides the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities for this position.
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience.
The successful candidate will have:
- Demonstrated record of leadership with a comprehensive knowledge of staff development and management, governmental finances and budgeting
- Stature to uphold the agency’s integrity
- Expertise in strategic planning and consensus building
- Ability to facilitate the development of a strong, solutions-based, resident-focused administration that adheres to MCRPC’s core values
- Capability to lead the implementation of planning initiatives and nurture relationships to expand funding
- Ability to sustain excellent working relationships with community partners
The successful candidate will:
- Possess ethical character and integrity
- Demonstrate the ability to communicate effectively and be a good listener
- Be innovative and flexible in creating more effective ways to accomplish missions
- Utilize fair and fact-based decision making
- Be capable of leading visionary initiatives and be results-oriented
- Have the ability to collaborate with others
- Utilize an analytical, data driven and strategic approach
To Apply: Visit https://il-mcleancounty.civicplushrms.com/careers/JobDetail.aspx?enc=QPQ... Your resume and cover letter must be uploaded at the time of application.
Confidentiality of your application will be maintained, if requested. The selection of an individual for this position is at the sole discretion of the County. McLean County is an Equal Opportunities Employer.