- Who We Are
- What We Do
- Get Involved
- Public Square
Friday, September 20, 2019
Membership Engagement Manager
Start Date: October 1, 2019
Location: Washington, D.C. or remote
Salary: Based on experience within the range of $55,000-$65,000 + full benefits
Organization: The Congress for the New Urbanism (CNU) is leading the revival of walkable, mixed-use neighborhoods. As a membership-based advocacy organization, CNU works to advance and promote the principles of New Urbanism. CNU promotes healthy, sustainable urban design and planning techniques into common practice. CNU supports public policy that enables great placemaking and seeks to remove barriers to sustainable development. For more information please visit www.cnu.org.
Summary: CNU’s Membership Engagement Manager is responsible for managing and growing CNU’s membership operations. This entails three major components: (1) developing and implementing member engagement strategies to attract new and retain existing members, (2) managing and fine tuning CNU’s Constituent Relationship Management (CRM) system in Nation Builder, and (3) interacting directly with CNU members, Chapters, partners, and like-minded organizations.
Location: The Congress for the New Urbanism is located in Washington, DC with remote staff in Illinois, New York, and South Carolina. The position can be remote or located in the Washington, DC office.
Lead CNU’s Membership Operations and Communications. CNU currently has over 2,500+ dues-paying members and has the potential to increase membership by several thousands. This position will serve as the frontline point of contact for all CNU members and member prospects and will be responsible for the following:
- Develop and execute membership growth strategies at the individual and group levels.
- Track membership trends and report monthly to CNU’s President and Deputy Director.
- Process membership payments and execute monthly membership receipts process.
- Manage CNU’s membership database (NationBuilder) and user manual.
- Manage contracts with outside vendors for membership materials and mailings.
- Respond to membership inquires via email and phone in a timely fashion.
- Research, reconcile, and resolve membership discrepancies.
- Develop member communications in collaboration with CNU’s Communications Manager, including by mail, email, web, and social media. Ex. Produce the monthly member newsletter and Real Places webcast.
- Contribute to strategic member outreach and operational efficiency, including but not limited to, email layout, content creation, and content management.
- Support CNU staff on member outreach and engagement initiatives and targeted, concerted outreach.
Other Duties as Assigned. Based on the knowledge, experience, and expertise of a candidates, additional duties may be assigned, such as local and regional Chapter coordination, sponsor and donor solicitation and cultivation, video and/or audio production, technology and/or website management and contractor oversight, project support, etc.
QUALITIES AND QUALIFICATIONS
CNU’s Membership Engagement Manager embodies the following set of qualities:
- Exceptional communicator in both the written and spoken form;
- Professional demeanor with an orientation towards customer service;
- Creative thinker with a track record of growing membership and/or subscription programs;
- Well-versed and comfortable in a variety of communications platforms. CNU uses several primary platforms for communication, they include, but are not limited to social media (Facebook, Twitter, Medium, etc.), website (Drupal, WordPress, HTML, etc.), email, and phone.
- High-regard for confidentiality;
- Able to manage multiple tasks, priorities, and projects, while staying on deadline;
- Able to work independently and with a team, including CNU staff and the Board of Directors;
- Able to see what needs to get done and does it;
- Skilled in interacting and maintaining effective relationships with a diverse group of individuals;
- Interest in New Urbanism, sustainable development, urban issues, and the built and natural environment.
CNU’s Membership Engagement Manager meets the following minimum qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year college or university or a level of education that, together with experience and training, demonstrates the required knowledge, skills, and abilities;
- Computer proficiency, including Microsoft Office Suite in a Mac OS environment;
- Three to five years of proven experience in member relations, development, and growth;
- Well-versed in database creation and management (NationBuilder, Excel, etc.);
- Knowledge of or willingness to learn basic web development in the Drupal and WordPress platform, a plus.
Salary: Salary based on experience within the range of $55,000 - $65,000.
- Ability to work with national new urban experts on a range of topics
- Fun, challenging, supportive work environment
- Benefits package includes medical, dental, and life insurance; a 401k retirement plan with employer contribution, and generous holiday and paid time off.
To Apply: Please email a cover letter, resume, names and contact info for three professional references to Abigail Sheridan at email@example.com. CNU will begin first-round interviews the week of September 2 and position will remain open until filled.
CNU is an equal opportunity employer with fulfilling careers in design, placemaking, innovation, leadership development and administrative support. Diversity is a critical source of strength for us. Different racial backgrounds, ethnicities, genders, ages and points of view contribute to our effectiveness as an organization. That’s why we actively seek to create an inclusive workforce and workplace. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.