- Who We Are
- What We Do
- Get Involved
- Public Square
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
City Planning Director
The Office of Mayor William Peduto is undertaking a nationwide search to hire a City Planning Director for the City of Pittsburgh. The Planning Director will direct and implement the city’s planning efforts to benefit all residents across Pittsburgh’s 90 neighborhoods. The Department of City Planning (“Planning”) establishes and sustains an orderly and consistent approach to land use that incorporates sustainability, city design, resilience, equity, and opportunity into ongoing practice and long-range planning.
To achieve this end, Planning works with communities, civic organizations, and public entities at the scale of zoning districts and land development plans, as well as individual project applications. The overriding goal is to sustain and enhance a thriving city of neighborhoods for people who live, work, learn, and visit here. Planning works to integrate completed and evolving major citywide strategies including but not limited to the OnePGH resilience strategy, Climate Action Plan, People, Planet, Place, and Performance (P4) framework, and the Comprehensive Plan.
Characteristics and Qualifications
- The successful candidate will be able to react and adjust quickly to changing conditions and come up with practical and innovative ideas for addressing civic issues.
- People and problems must be handled with confidence and determination in a fast-paced environment.
- The role requires self-discipline, self-assurance, and competitive drive.
- There is a strong demand for high-quality, organized and repeatable results.
- The responsibilities are broad in scope, encompassing a wide variety of activities requiring rapid shifts in priorities.
- Preferred Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree required. Master's degree in urban planning, public administration or a related field preferred.
- A minimum of 8 years of progressively responsible planning experience.
- Four years of experience in a supervisory capacity is preferred.
- AICP Certification is required, or ability to obtain certification within one year
HR&A Advisors and PRM Consulting are supporting recruitment of candidates for this position. Send nominations, applications, references, and inquiries in confidence to: Mr. Gregory L. Davis, Principal, PRM Consulting on behalf of the HR&A Advisors team 1814 13th Street, Northwest Washington, DC 20009, PGHPlanningDir@hraadvisors.com Electronic submission of materials is strongly encouraged.