- Who We Are
- What We Do
- Get Involved
- Public Square
Location: Covington, KY
Zoning and Development Specialist for the Economic Development Department
The City of Covington, KY is seeking a dynamic, customer service-oriented, experienced, individual to administer our zoning code for this unique community of 42,000 in the Greater Cincinnati area. This is an exciting time in Covington with multiple urban revitalization projects underway and a new approach to zoning. The city is currently working with a team of national consultants to move from a Euclidean code to a hybrid form-based development code. Our new administrator will help manage the development of this new code and administer it when complete in 2020. For more details or to apply visit: https://www.covingtonky.gov/residents/employment/opportunities
Summary Administer zoning regulations as adopted by the City of Covington, review proposed construction and development documents and issue zoning permits. Responsible for staff support to Board of Adjustment. Compile data from various sources, such as maps, reports, field and file investigations, for use in planning and economic development studies. Assist public and city staff by answering questions and providing information related to zoning. Continually review and update zoning regulations as necessary and provide technical expertise related to planning initiatives and projects. This position will report to the Economic Development Manager.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- Working with the Economic Development Manager on various administrative tasks relative to Business recruitment, Retention and Real Estate Development.
- Administer zoning regulations, issue permits, review site plans, and conduct site inspection. Coordinate review and inspection activities with other city departments.
- Provide primary staff assistance to the Board of Adjustment. Make presentations, maintain minutes, maintain records, and issue permits. Provide professional staffing while adhering to KRS 100.
- Provide and encourage training opportunities for City Staff and Board of Adjustment members to meet the requirements of KRS 147A.027, maintain records.
- Review and recommend improvements and draft amendment to city’s zoning ordinance and development regulations pursuant to KRS 99 and KRS 100.
- Prepare draft language and recommendations concerning zoning map amendments and text amendments for review by Economic Development Manager.
- As necessary, make professional presentations and recommendations to City Commission and Kenton County Planning Commission regarding proposed text and map amendments.
- Maintain accurate records for zoning permits, inquiries and applications for amendments.
- Serve as the City’s Alcoholic Beverage Control (ABC) Administrator which includes the review, issuance, and enforcement of local ABC licenses, coordinating with the State Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control, and serving as staff support for the Covington ABC Board.
- Serve as the City’s Floodplain Administrator
- Prepare, develop and maintain maps, files and records (including land use data and statistics) and databases.
- Updates City Zoning Map and Text and supplies information to City Staff and other applicable organizations.
- Assists the Department of Development with the coordination and facilitation of long-range planning initiatives, special studies and reports.
- Responds to inquiries and complaints from general public as well as contractors, builders, and developers. Meets with outside parties as needed to resolve construction and zoning code problems, and to provide information for persons interested in development in the City.
- Coordinate with building inspectors and the preservation and planning specialist regarding review of permit applications.
- Conduct interviews, surveys and site inspections concerning factors that affect land usage such as zoning, traffic flow and housing.
- Attend evening meetings.
- Provide guidance and assistance to individuals and businesses regarding the regulatory process for state and local regulations such as the City’s Zoning Ordinance, State Building Code, Plumbing Code, etc.
- Serve as project manager and perform any other daily duties as may be required to accomplish Department goals and objectives as assigned by the Economic Development Manager.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- At least three years of progressively responsible experience in planning or zoning administration; or the equivalent to a Graduate degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in planning, public administration or related design or construction discipline or a combination of the above stated work experience and education.
- Familiarity with the development process.
- AICP Certification is preferred but not required.
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES AND SKILLS
- Knowledge of applicable City, State and Federal rules, regulations and ordinances that impact Land Use and the ability to appropriately interpret and apply them.
- Knowledge of general planning principles and concepts.
- Understands business implications of decisions.
- Ability to communicate effectively with residents, contractors, other employees, city officials and other agencies both orally and in writing.
- Treats people with respect; inspires the trust of others; works with integrity and ethically; upholds organizational values.
- Ability to address the challenges facing mature neighborhoods.
- Ability to work with residents from all economic, cultural and diverse backgrounds.
- Aptitude and ability to utilize computer resources required by the City including word processing, spreadsheets and data bases.
- Working knowledge of GIS mapping and database collection, management, and analysis techniques
CERTIFICATES, LISCENSESES, REGISTRATIONS
- Possess and maintain a valid Driver’s License
- Satisfaction of KRS 147A.027 training requirements
- Certification with the American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP) Certification, or ability to achieve this certification within a specified amount of time.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES May serve as lead on a project basis.