- Who We Are
- What We Do
- Get Involved
- Public Square
Location: Neptune Beach, FL
Community Development Director
About the Position:
Neptune Beach is a vibrant and pedestrian- friendly beachfront community approximately 15 miles east of downtown Jacksonville, nestled on the northeast coast of Florida, and totals 2.5 square miles between Atlantic Beach and Jacksonville Beach. It has a population of 7,200. With a small-town residential atmosphere, the Central Business District is upscale with several unique restaurants and shops. The City prides itself on it’s high quality of life and services.
The Ideal Candidate will be energetic and a forward thinker with a bachelor’s degree in Planning or a closely related field. The Successful Candidate will have two to three years in planning and/or Community Development with Florida experience and knowledge of GIS applications.
Knowledge, skills and abilities being sought are:
- knowledge of the principles, practices and techniques of urban planning;
- knowledge of Florida building and land use laws, zoning codes and licensing activities;
- knowledge of comprehensive land use planning and development regulations;
- knowledge of principles, techniques and objectives of Community Development Block Grant programs;
- ability to plan, direct and coordinate a wide range of planning activities;
- ability to read and interpret construction plans, plot plan specifications, surveys and sketches, blueprints, and make recommendations accordingly;
- ability to plan and conduct meetings and conferences;
- ability to analyze situations accurately and to plan and adopt an effective course of action;
- ability to present ideas effectively, both orally and in writing;
- and ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with private and public agencies, organizations and individuals.
Upcoming projects the new Community Development Director is expected to help address include the long-term planning for impacts of sea level rise, economic development that is compatible with the small-town character of the community, facilitation of the new paid parking pilot program, and community planning in relation to updating the Comprehensive Plan and Land Development Code, which is soon to be rewritten utilizing nationally and regionally recognized consultants including public input.
The City will provide a competitive salary and benefits. Starting salary will be $70,000—$80,000, depending on qualifications. All candidates are subject to a full background check . No internal candidates for the job are anticipated.
To Apply submit a cover letter and resume with salary history, to:
116 First Street
Neptune Beach, FL 32266
NOTE: Under Florida Law, all information and document submitted are public records and will be provided to the press and/or others upon request.