- Who We Are
- What We Do
- Get Involved
- Public Square
Are you passionate about the design of walkable, sustainable communities and the architecture that makes them work? Are you enthusiastic, self-motivated, and want to make an impact? You may be just the person we are looking for. Opticos Design, Inc. is an award-winning urban design and architecture firm in Berkeley, California. We are a founding B Corporation, committed to a triple-bottom line of social, environmental and financial responsibility. That commitment informs every project we select and each choice we make—both professional and personal. We don’t just ask others to go car-free; we bike, walk, or take public transit to our office located in a mixed-use urban center. We’re the first to admit that we’re far from perfect, but we’re trying to make a difference. We shop locally, live small, and work responsibly. These decisions inform our work at every level, and as a result, we are delighted to help create communities that thrive and buildings that withstand the test of time. They also inform our own internal working culture. We all work hard to have a big impact and have fun while doing it. We’re creative, entrepreneurial, team-oriented and fun.
We’re looking a highly-motivated design enthusiast, who is energized by complex problem- solving. Working with a cohesive team of designers, you would be responsible for assisting with internal production management on all aspects of urban design and architecture projects, from initial design through the final deliverables, as well as creating exemplary designs, strategies and solutions for buildings and walkable places to support strong communities. We’re looking for someone with a passion for walkable, bikable, transit-oriented places, a dedicated team player, and a great communicator who loves to engage in order to improve any process. Are you ready to help us make an impact?
- Job Captain: Assist with internal production management to plan, organize, direct and control projects, from initial scope, schedule and budget development through conceptual design to project delivery, to provide well-designed, high-quality, timely and profitable results.
- Generate compelling presentation drawings that clearly illustrate design concepts in the Opticos style, via hand drawing and computer rendering.
- Assist in developing master plan and building design sets, Specific Plans, Form-Based Codes, and other architecture and planning designs and documents using Opticos’ standards and templates, and participate in the continuing development of these templates and standards.
- Support Project Managers and other team members with urban design and architecture projects.
- Assist with research and development projects.
- Provide outstanding service and responsiveness to clients and vendors.
- Maintain accurate timesheets with daily record of time spent by project.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Experience
- Professional-level degree in Architecture and 3+ years’ experience in an architecture or similar firm.
- Strong design skills in both architecture and urban design.
- Commitment to work toward accreditation by a professional organization in planning or architecture.
- Intermediate to advanced knowledge of Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator; SketchUp; VectorWorks; Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Solid problem solving, design, and time management skills. Able to interpret and apply complex policies and procedures in a timely fashion.
- Experience in document writing and editing.
- Solid interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills; articulate and professional, yet service-oriented and approachable.
- Great attitude, natural leadership qualities, and sense of humor.
TO APPLY: Please send your resume, portfolio and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org and include a cover letter telling us what excites you about this opportunity and how you can help us make an impact.