- Who We Are
- What We Do
- Get Involved
- Public Square
Friday, June 28, 2019
- Salary - $100,408.88 - $167,347.44 Annually
- Location - FAIRFAX (EJ32), VA
- Job Type - FT Salary W BN
- Department - County Executive
- Job Number - 19-01177
- Pay Grade - E9
- Posting Type - Open to General Public
- Manages, coordinates, and monitors the planning and execution of activities within the Department of Economic Initiatives.
- Plans and administers a comprehensive and coordinated program aimed at enhancing the county's reputation as one of the nation's top localities to visit and conduct business in.
- Leads the development of annual strategic plans and the implementation of their associated objectives and policies to ensure continued economic health throughout the county
- Plans, schedules and carries out various economic development activities including initial program planning, feasibility determinations, community involvement, and evaluation
- Advises the Board of Supervisors and local government officials on issues under the purview of the Department of Economic Initiatives.
- Works with colleagues, elected officials, businesses, and citizens to implement the Fairfax County Economic Success Strategic Plan.
- Works with the Fairfax County Economic Development Authority (FCEDA), as needed, in their efforts to recruit, retain, and expand businesses – and advise on other relevant matters.
- Leads efforts to develop strategies that attract small businesses and promote their growth, i.e., specialty retail and small scale production.
- Monitors economic data, trends, and resources and advises on various land development opportunities, i.e., residential, commercial, industrial, and institutional (academic/medical).
- Advises the county on the fiscal impact of major developments and specialized economic contributors, such as retail, hotels, and tourism – and the role of "placemaking" in economic success.
- Coordinates research efforts with county departments and agencies, including the FCEDA and outside institutions, regarding various demographic, market, and land use databases
- Provides oversight of the county's public-private development projects.
- Initiates and participates in county-wide innovation efforts. Monitors emerging markets and their relevance to the Fairfax economy.
- Oversees various incentives, i.e., the Fairfax County Economic Opportunity Reserve and other grant opportunities at the local, state, and federal levels.
- Participates in non-profit partnerships and outreach – including grant writing
- Manages the department budget; monitors revenues and expenditures.
- Makes presentations to public officials, colleagues, business owners and community groups.
- Knowledge of the principles, methods and challenges related to economic development including real estate, land development, pertinent federal, state, and local laws, and procedures concerning economic development.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of demographic research and analysis; statistics and mathematics applicable to economic analysis; principles and practices of grant writing; and techniques employed in public presentations.
- Specialized knowledge in implementation of an economic development program, including a proactive outreach and communication program.
- Ability to organize work, set priorities and exercise sound independent judgment, including creative ways to solve issues.
- Ability to work effectively with business leaders, financial institutions, citizen groups and colleagues in interdepartmental and diverse team environments.
- Ability to work effectively in a highly visible position; interpret and apply complex rules, regulations, and ordinances.
- Ability to plan, organize, direct and manage the activities of department staff.
- Ability to effectively train and motivate employees.
- Ability to speak effectively in public, understand political processes and build consensus.
- For more information, please click here (Download PDF reader).
Fairfax County is seeking an experienced, dynamic and innovative leader to direct the newly created Department of Economic Initiatives (DEI). The director is responsible for managing, planning and organizing the department. This includes oversight of development strategies to further economic prosperity throughout the county, retain and attract businesses, and create new job opportunities. The director serves on the Deputy County Executive's Leadership Team for Planning and Development and represents DEI at meetings with the Board of Supervisors and County Executive staff, as required. The department is engaged in public private development, fiscal analysis of land use development, business relations and attraction, understanding of current market conditions and trends, innovation initiatives, and other economic-development related matters.
Skills and Abilities
Any combination of education and experience and training equivalent to the following: graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with a bachelor's degree in urban planning, economics, public administration, business administration or a related field plus seven years of progressively responsible professional level experience in economic or community development, research, business administration or a closely related field to include four years of supervisory experience.
Masters degree in urban planning, economics, public administration, business administration or related field. Demonstrated capacity to build and sustain working partnerships with a broad spectrum of stakeholders. Extensive and demonstrated experience in working with various boards, citizen advisory councils and other constituencies.
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS: Is required to complete a criminal background check and credit check to the satisfaction of the employer.
TO APPLY: To apply: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/fairfaxcounty/jobs/2459723/direct...