- Who We Are
- What We Do
- Get Involved
- Public Square
City of Rancho Cucamonga
Monday, May 27, 2019
Location: Rancho Cucamonga, CA
About Position: Team RC is looking for someone to lead, mentor, and coach a high-performance Planning and Economic Development team with respect, equity, engagement and inclusion. This leader will provide clear direction and remove obstacles to enable and empower others to get the right work done in and outside of the Planning Department. He or she will be dedicated to customer service, community engagement and will lead the planning and urban design efforts with a commitment to innovation, health equity and sustainability. This department head is an integral member of the executive team, which works together to implement the strategic vision for the city. Success in this position requires a team player, someone with strong initiative and a driving passion for the work and people, who is an active listener and brings a servant leadership approach to their profession and their interactions with people inside and outside the organization.
Job Duties And Responsibilities Include But Are Not Limited To:
- Leading, mentoring and coaching a high-performance team with respect, equity, inclusion, and engagement.
- Providing clear direction and mentoring, organizing, aligning and resolving challenges to enable and empower the team to achieve their goals and objectives within existing resources.
- Making strong and timely decisions that keep the organization moving in the right direction, based on good judgment and consideration of cultural, legal, and ethical factors, awareness of risk and benefits, political and social context, and organizational priorities, especially as it relates to ensuring balanced and consistent land use policies, objectives, and plans.
- Discerning the root causes of issues in complex and "noisy" situations, applying critical analysis to identify and assess potential solutions, evaluating those with diverse perspectives, and making timely, well-considered decisions.
- Displaying outstanding skills in listening, writing and speaking clearly, concisely and persuasively; simplifying and communicating complex materials; understanding and learning from what others say; grasping the technical policy and political meanings of written materials.
- Behaving skillfully, diplomatically and effectively in politically sensitive situations.
- Successfully managing department expenses, revenue budgets, contracts, grants and performance.
- Keeping the City's boards and various committees informed with various communication tools as appropriate to each situation, including but not limited to staff reports, presentations, meetings, and conversations.
- Meeting and engaging with community groups and various stakeholders to develop comprehensive and balanced land use policies.
- Clearly identifying long term needs; articulating ways for the Department to work to set long- term goals; identifying pathways to work in various capacities, with a variety of partners, and along different pathways to achieve those goals.
- Directing the development and implementation of new programs and activities, in and outside the Planning Department, engaging in process improvement techniques and events.
- Advising and otherwise providing support to the City Manager, the Deputy City Manager, the City Council, the Planning Commission, other commissions and committees, other City personnel and the public regarding current and advanced planning, urban design, historic preservation and related issues.
Education and Experience
- Graduation from an accredited college with a bachelor's degree in Urban Design and Planning or a related field.
- Eight years progressively responsible management or supervisory experience in municipal planning and/or community development or any combination of training and experience that provides the desired knowledge and abilities.
- A Master's degree in Planning or a related field is desirable.
- Certifications such as AICP or CNU-A strongly preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of the theories, principles, procedures, practices, laws and trends in the field of planning, historic preservation, urban design, transportation planning, housing, economic development and environmental analysis;
- Methods, plans, systems, forms, maps and tools common to land use planner's work, and sources of information and agencies that may be utilized in conducting research and addressing planning matters;
- Office management and principles of supervision.
- Skillfulness with leading, coaching, mentoring, and managing staff, as well as team development.
- Ability to deal effectively with developers, property owners, architects, engineers and the general public;
- Schedule work, set priorities and monitor work progress;
- Interpret and apply provisions of codes, regulations, statutes and ordinances relevant to City planning activities,
- Make verbal and written presentations to individuals and groups;
- Work cooperatively with others;
- Keep current in the field of planning, urban design and economic development;
- Analyze issues and draw logical, supportable conclusions.
- Possession of or ability to obtain an appropriate California driver's license and a satisfactory driving record.
Application Instructions: All applicants are required to apply online at www.cityofrc.us. Closing date is 5:00 pm on Monday, May 27, 2019 or until a sufficient number of applications have been received.