- Who We Are
- What We Do
- Get Involved
- Public Square
City of Chicago
Wednesday, May 15, 2019
Location: Chicago, Illinois
About Position: Under direction, functions as a project manager responsible for coordinating urban development and transportation planning projects of a complex nature OR as a senior level, technical expert engaged in researching and managing specialized transportation technology initiatives, and performs related duties as required.
- Participates in determining where automated enforcement cameras are placed using GIS technology and the priority placement model based on Illinois Department of Transportation crash data
- Conducts field work, investigating automated enforcement issues, and making assessments directly related to individual cameras, with the intention of getting cameras operating as quickly as possible
- Plans and manages the full scope of planning studies including the design, data collection and implementation of recommendations
- Establishes and monitors work objectives and time lines of planning projects and oversees private consultants and junior level planners in the conduct of planning studies
- Participates in and oversees the collection and analysis of related planning data
- Summarizes and formats collected data and prepares reports for senior management’s review
- Evaluate and research various new mobility technologies
- Support Intelligent Transportation Systems and active traffic management initiatives
- Evaluates project proposals for feasibility and conformity with city development goals and objectives, governmental regulations and funding eligibility
- Coordinates the work efforts of departmental managers, government officials and funding agencies to facilitate the selection and scheduling of capital improvement projects
- Prepares and oversees staff responsible for the preparation of financial reporting documents to track the awarding and expenditure of funds
- Conducts site inspections of work in progress to ensure adherence to development plans
- Generates periodic progress reports of pending and current projects, highlighting issues for management’s attention and to publicize project success
- Represents the department at public hearings and meetings to discuss proposed planning and redevelopment projects
NOTE: The list of essential duties is not intended to be inclusive; there may be other duties that are essential to particular positions within the class.
THIS POSITION IS EXEMPT FROM THE CAREER SERVICE
Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Master's degree in Urban Planning, Transportation Planning, Environmental Planning, or a directly related field, plus five years of work experience in the development and management of major planning or research studies, including two years of supervisory experience related to the responsibilities of the position, or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience provided that the minimum degree requirement is met.
Education and Employment Verification: Please be advised that if you are selected to be hired you must provide, upon request, adequate information regarding your educational and employment history as it relates to the qualifications of the position for which you are applying. If you received your degree internationally, all international transcripts/diploma must be accompanied by a Foreign Credential Evaluation. If the City of Chicago cannot verify this information, any offer extended to you will be withdrawn and you will not be hired.
NOTE: To be considered for this position you must provide information about your educational background and your work experience. You must include job titles, dates of employment, and specific job duties. (If you are a current City employee, Acting Up cannot be considered.) If you fail to provide this information at the time you submit your application, it will be incomplete and you will not be considered for this position. There are three ways to provide the information: 1) you may attach a resume; 2) you may paste a resume; or 3) you can complete the online resume fields.
Selection Requirements: This position requires applicants to complete an interview. The interviewed candidate(s) possessing the qualifications best suited to fulfill the responsibilities of the position will be selected.
Preference will be given to candidates possessing the following:
- Previous work experience with transportation planning in municipalities
- Previous work experience as a team lead for transportation studies and / or projects
- Proficiency with intelligent transportation systems
- Proficiency with Graphic Design Software and / or GIS software
Location: 30 N. LaSalle 5th Floor, Chicago, IL 60602
Days: Monday – Friday
Hours: 8:30am to 4:30pm
Application Period: 4/15/19 to 5/15/19
Application Instructions: Interested applicants should apply at the City of Chicago’s application website: www.cityofchicago.org/CAREERS
From there, click on Apply for Job Opportunities. From that site under the Organization drop down menu, click on Department of Transportation and click search. You will then find the Coordinating Planner position link.