- Who We Are
- What We Do
- Get Involved
- Public Square
City of Taylor, TX
Location: Taylor, Texas
Assistant Director, Development
About Position: The City of Taylor, located in Williamson County northeast of Austin, is seeking a qualified applicant for an Assistant Director, Development Services. This position provides management oversight of the primary customer service functions of the Development Services department, ensures that the department’s customer service and performance goals are achieved within the assigned areas of supervision and fills in for the director in their absence. The Assistant Director reports to Director of Development Services, supervises assigned staff in the Development Services Department, works closely with other departments and has frequent contact with representatives of various governmental and business entities and the general public.
About the City of Taylor: Taylor, Texas is a beautiful city with a large downtown area rich with history and charm. Taylor, incorporated in 1882, boasts a dynamic cultural heritage. Today, Taylor continues to grow and expand as part of the regional development in the Austin area. The City of Taylor operates as a Council / Manager form of government. The City is governed by a five member Council. The City Council appoints the City Manager to be the Chief Administrative Officer and oversees an organization of 150 full time employees and an operating budget for Fiscal Year 2018-19 for all funds of $ 29.6 million. The City is organized into a number of departments including Police, Fire, Development Services, Public Works, Finance, Library and Parks & Recreation.
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university or college in a related field such as building construction science, planning, geography, political science, or public administration and a minimum of 5 years progressively responsible experience in a municipal development services department including at least two years’ experience in a supervisory capacity OR any equivalent combination of training and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities. Texas Class C driver’s license required. Certified Building Official; or American Institute of Certified Planners certification preferred.
- Knowledge of Texas laws and municipal development ordinances and processes related to: zoning, platting, site development, building permitting, building inspections and code enforcement.
- Knowledge of Community development principles and best practices.
- Knowledge of Customer service principles and best practices.
- Ability to Collect, analyze, interpret, and report data; write clear and concise reports;
- Ability to Communicate effectively, work effectively with developers, property owners, engineers, architects, general contractors, sub-contractors, other city staff, personnel in other governmental agencies, as well as members of the public;
- Ability to Give Effective small group presentations;
- Ability to Read and interpret plats, building plans and codes, site plans, blue-lines, etc;
- Ability to Read and comprehend ordinances, laws, and other miscellaneous policies and regulations;
- Ability to Manage multiple complex projects in a timely manner;
- Ability to Maintain superior customer service. Ability to establish and maintain positive relationships with co-workers, citizens, volunteers, land owners, developers, contractors, tradespersons, etc.; performance requires significant team work;
- Ability to assign and delegate work and measure performance of assigned staff.
Application Instructions: A City of Taylor Application is required for this position. Resumes alone will not be accepted. Apply on-line at www.taylortx.gov
Benefits Salary commensurate with experience. Health, Dental, Vision, Basic Life, and Long Term Disability Insurance (employee coverage paid by the City); retirement with Texas Municipal Retirement System; Social Security match; Paid holidays, vacation and paid sick days. The City of Taylor is a good place to live and work. The City of Taylor is an Equal Opportunity Employer.