- Who We Are
- What We Do
- Get Involved
- Public Square
Prince George's Planning
Friday, November 30, 2018
Location: Upper Marlboro, MD
The Prince George's County Planning Department of The Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission is seeking two experienced Senior Planners to join our planning team. The Department is responsible for developing and implementing community plans, neighborhood revitalization programs, countywide planning, and assisting with implementation programs in an urbanizing county adjacent to our nation's capital.
Qualified applicants for this position will have enthusiasm for community planning, exceptional analytic and communications skills, proven research skills, and familiarity with comprehensive planning, demographic analysis, transit-oriented development, growth management programs, and Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and Adobe Creative Suites. The positions will be responsible for various quantitative and qualitative analyses in support of planning including, but not limited to the following program areas: comprehensive planning, neighborhood revitalization, transit-oriented development, housing, place making, economic development, and performance monitoring for program implementation. Individuals from all cultures and communities are encouraged to apply.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Strong written and verbal communications skills.
- Familiarity with methodologies for collecting, analyzing, and summarizing data for planning and policy-related research.
- The ability to learn quickly, apply creativity, understand complex processes and procedures, prioritize workload, set and meet deadlines, and perform well with minimal direct supervision.
- Desire to serve the public, collaborate with other agencies and departments, and work closely with other planning team members.
- The ability to effectively cope with change, shift gears comfortably, and handle risk and uncertainty.
- Experience providing policy support to committees, boards, councils, or other advisory or decision-making bodies.
- Must be action-oriented, full of energy for challenging tasks, and enjoy working hard.
- Experience with Creative Suite, PowerPoint, GIS is strongly preferred.
- A desire to serve the public is a must.
- Ability to perform other related duties as assigned.
Examples of Important Duties
Under general supervision:
- Participates and/or assists in special projects relating to community planning and plan implementation and performs associated research and reporting requirements as assigned.
- Provides planning services in assigned area of the county and urban design, research, and writing support on master plans, sector plans, and area studies.
- Reviews and prepares reports on site plans, subdivision and zoning applications to determine compliance with approved community plans.
- Assists in the facilitation of community meetings and community outreach activities.
- Assists with the research, solicitation, compliance, and administration of grants and works with inter-departmental teams to solicit new grant funding.
- Conducts planning studies, including oversight of consultants and presentations to the Planning Board or County Council, as needed.
- Assists in developing land use regulations, including overlay zones
- Minimum Qualifications
- Master's degree in planning, architecture, parks, engineering, environmental science, or equivalent disciplines related to job function and one year of progressively responsible professional level planning experience; OR an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Classification/Spec Title: Senior Planner
The Prince George's County Planning Department is currently located in historic Upper Marlboro, Maryland. Free onsite parking is available for employees. In the foreseeable future, the Department will be moving to a newly renovated, state-of-the-art building in Largo, Maryland, conveniently located near Metro and I-495.
The M-NCPPC offers a competitive salary range of $53,267 to $91,150 at the Senior Planner level with an excellent benefits package. The Commission is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from minorities, females, and persons with disabilities.
The Maryland-National Capital Park & Planning Commission
6611 Kenilworth Avenue
Riverdale, Maryland, 20737