- Who We Are
- What We Do
- Get Involved
- Public Square
City of Asheville
Friday, December 22, 2017
Location: Asheville, NC
Assistant Director of Transportation
Summary of Position:
The City of Asheville is excited to hire an Assistant Director of Transportation. This is a full-time/exempt position with the Department of Transportation. The responsibilities of this position include supervising staff by planning, assigning, directing and coordinating work of employees engaged in engineering operations, overseeing the activities of transportation planning, traffic engineering, parking and transit planning staff. Overseeing departmental operations by establishing program and project policies for the department and conferring with principal administrative and technical subordinates to assess progress and resolve problems. Preparing and presents technical reports and provides technical information related to engineering projects to City Council, developers, contractors, and the general public. Coordinating with NCDOT staff to request grants and approve plans.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Short and long-range transportation engineering and planning transit activities.
- Plans, directs, manages and supervises Transportation Department staff.
- Works as a staff liaison to the Multimodal Transportation Commission and works with the Chair to prepare agendas and staff reports.
- Provides boards and commissions information about transportation functions.
- Reviews development projects for transportation impacts as part of the monthly TRC review meetings.
- Develops and implements system policies and procedures.
- Reviews grant reporting and oversight activities.
- Develops and oversees new revenue projects and programs for all functions within the Transportation Department.
- Develops policies and reviews projects to help smart development occur in our community with an emphasis on the development of transportation options.
- Implements Multimodal transportation policies that help the City grow in alignment with the Comprehensive Plan.
- Required Education and Experience
- Master's Degree in Civil Engineering, Traffic Engineering, Transportation Planning or Urban Planning AND Five (5) years' experience in Municipal Government, OR
- Bachelors' Degree Civil Engineering, Traffic Engineering, Transportation Planning or Urban Planning AND Seven (7) years' experience in Municipal Government, AND the following:
- Three (3) years' experience in Transportation Planning.
- Three (3) years' supervisory experience required.
- Either Professional Engineer (PE) and/or AICP required or the ability to obtain in 6 months.
- Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Working Conditions
- Comprehensive understanding of the field and the application of advanced principals, techniques and theories.
- Interpret process and use complex workplace data and graphics with abundant information and/or create challenging presentations using detailed forms, tables, graphs, etc.
- Knowledge of advanced research on organizational policies and procedures, best practices and innovative techniques.
- Skills & Abilities:
- Ability to communicate effectively in spoken and written form.
- Ability to research program documents and narrative materials, and develop reports from information gathered.
- Ability to analyze situations and pinpoint problems and assist with solving problems and identifying sources of obstacles.
- Ability to develop and maintain working relationships as required by work assignments.
- Ability to work independently with limited supervision.
- Ability to analyze and interpret policy and procedural guidelines and to apply this understanding to tasks.
- Ability to bring resources together to resolve a problem or provide a solution.
For complete details including salary, benefits and application materials, please go to the City of Asheville's Job Opportunities at https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/ashevillenc?