- Who We Are
- What We Do
- Get Involved
- Public Square
Assistant Director, Planning and Zoning
City of Austin, Texas
World class culturally dynamic city located in Central Texas is seeking highly qualified candidates to serve as Assistant Director of Planning & Zoning. The Assistant Director, with the Director, leads and directs a staff of approximately 51 in the long range planning and implementation functions, zoning, historic preservation, urban design, demographic analysis, the Neighborhood Assistance Center and the rewrite of the City Land Development Code known as Code NEXT project (total budget $7.7 million). The position requires strong leadership and management skills,as well as extensive technical knowledge and experience, and strong communication and negotiation skills. Significant experience and a record of accomplishment in a high growth and rapidly changing environment are highly desirable. Experience in both the public and private sectors is also desirable. Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with major course work in Urban or Regional Planning, Public Administration, Business Administration, or other field related to the position being sought, as well as six (6) years of related experience, of which two (2) years are in a supervisory/managerial capacity, is required. A Master’s degree in a related field may be substituted for two (2) years of the required experience.
The next Assistant Director Planning and Zoning can expect to work closely with the Director, the City’s executive management team, the Department’s management team, other City of Austin Departments, and various stakeholder groups on a number of important projects and initiatives, including:
• Helping to build a culture in which the Comprehensive Plan truly influences long-range thinking, budgets, and capital investments.
• Playing a leading role in Comprehensive Plan implementation, involving all eight priority programs, and with the newly restructured (“10-1 District) City Council.
• Leading planning efforts key in areas such as corridor planning, transit-oriented development,commercial revitalization, downtown development,redevelopment projects, and development of special regulatory tools.
• Annual reviews of the Comprehensive Plan,“Imagine Austin.”
• Development of two to four small area plans annually.
• Playing a critical role in the rewrite of the Land Development Code known as the Code NEXT project, as Austin determines how to build the city it wants to be.
• Working ever more closely with Economic Development in long-range planning and small area plans,furthering a marriage of planning and economic development that is sensitive to value, return on investment, and economic impact.
We offer an excellent benefits program including a comprehensive retirement package. Submit resumé, cover letter to:http://www.austincityjobs.org/