Senior Associate – Complete Streets Engineer
Nelson\Nygaard Consulting Associates, Inc. is an internationally recognized firm committed to developing transportation systems that promote vibrant, sustainable, and accessible communities. We focus on planning that promotes increased walking, bicycling, and transit use. Our staff includes experts in complete streets design, transit planning, multimodal transportation, campus and transportation demand management, parking management, pedestrian and bicycle planning, and paratransit and mobility management. In all our projects, we put people first.
We are seeking a highly organized, independent, forward-thinking Senior Associate with expertise in traffic engineering and complete streets design to expand this practice area. The right candidate will help shape our practice, which works to transform streets to make them useable and attractive to people walking, bicycling, driving, and using transit. Our multimodal and consensus-building approach has made Nelson\Nygaard market leaders in complete streets design and policy.
A Senior Associate has multiple responsibilities. You will be expected to win and manage medium to small projects, have major roles in large projects, and provide guidance to the office’s excellent junior staff. Within a few years, we expect you to win and manage large projects.
You will be based in San Francisco. Your projects may be located anywhere throughout the U.S. and possibly overseas, and thus a willingness and wish to travel is desirable. Initially, the Senior Associate will work primarily on Bay Area projects and elsewhere in California. You will work closely with Nelson\Nygaard’s senior and junior staff in San Francisco, and also with staff in our other offices nationwide. Our approach is to bring the most appropriate staff together, irrespective of where they are based. We believe that working together across offices produces better outcomes and improves all of our skills.
Candidates must meet the following requirements to be considered:
- Five years of increasingly responsible experience in traffic engineering, civil engineering, and/or transportation planning.
- A bachelor’s or more advanced degree in civil engineering, transportation engineering, traffic engineering or a related field, or equivalent experience. A master’s degree in one of these fields is highly preferred.
- Skills and enthusiasm for business development. Please describe your strategy for winning new clients.
- Excellent written, verbal and other communication skills, including facilitating public workshops, and making compelling presentations. Please send us samples of your work.
- The ability to manage complex projects on time and on budget.
- A commitment to the principles of Complete Streets design, and experience with conceptual design and corridor plans that integrate all modes. Please include a sample of your conceptual design work, especially built projects.
- Experience with and knowledge of Synchro traffic operations analysis software, and possibly other software such as TRAFFIX, HCS, and/or Sidra
In addition to the above requirements, the following are desired skills:
- A professional engineer (PE) license is highly desirable.
- Experience using AutoCAD to develop street designs
- Experience with other graphics software such as SketchUp, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Photoshop, and VectorWorks
- Bicycle facility design, such as bike lanes, shared use paths, and cycle tracks
- Pedestrian facility design
- Signing and marking design
- Intersection design including roundabouts
- Experience developing street design standards or guidelines
- Signal timing expertise
- Experience with GIS software
- Bicycle master plans
- Pedestrian master plans
- Traffic impact studies
- Experience working on circulation elements of General Plans and/or Specific Plans in California
- Circulation sections of environmental impact reports/studies
- Regional transportation plans
- Understanding of CEQA-related transportation analysis
- Grant writing experience
- Familiarity with transportation funding
Salary and Benefits
Nelson\Nygaard offers a flexible, friendly work environment that encourages diversity and creativity. Benefits of the position include:
- Flexible work hours and working arrangements, including some flexibility to work remotely as needed
- Self-directed work program – ability to build/maintain a professional focus area of personal interest
- Dynamic, collaborative, and challenging work environment centered on fast-paced, project-based work
- Relaxed, congenial office environment with minimal bureaucracy
- Opportunities for domestic and occasional international travel
- Ability to gain a lot of experience quickly on a variety of projects and project types
- Opportunity to work with one of the most dynamic and innovative groups of planners and engineers in the U.S., including highly talented junior and support staff
- Competitive pay and benefits as detailed below
The annual salary range equivalent for this position is $80,000 to $100,000, depending on qualifications and years of experience. Benefits include fully paid health and dental insurance, 401K/profit-sharing program, paid time-off, optional vision plan, Zipcar, City CarShare and bikeshare memberships, pre-tax transit or bicycling benefits.
Nelson\Nygaard Consulting Associates, Inc. is an equal employment opportunity affirmative action employer.
Prior to sending your materials, please combine your cover letter, resume, and work samples into a single PDF with the filename format "Firstname Lastname – SF Senior Associate Engineer.pdf". Send the materials to email@example.com with the subject line "SF Senior Associate Engineer." No phone calls, please.