Director of Land Use Advocacy
Mission of Position:
To support Scenic Hudson’s work in riverfront communities, the Urban Designer will perform outreach to expand community capacity and conduct collaborative planning initiatives intended to help stakeholders identify a vision consistent with Scenic Hudson’s award winning riverfront planning guide, Revitalizing Hudson Riverfronts. In order that these community visions can be well illustrated and better understood, the Urban Designer will also develop models, graphics, visual simulations, and maps using a suite of design and mapping software, such as GIS, Adobe Suite, Google SketchUp, AutoCad, and other 3/D programs
Scenic Hudson works to protect and restore the Hudson River and its majestic landscape as an irreplaceable national treasure and a vital resource for residents and visitors. A crusader for the valley since 1963, we are credited with saving fabled Storm King Mountain from a destructive industrial project and launching the modern grass-roots environmental movement. Today with more than 10,000 ardent supporters, we are the largest environmental group focused on the Hudson River Valley. Our team of experts combines land acquisition, support for agriculture, citizen-based advocacy and sophisticated planning tools to create environmentally healthy communities, champion smart economic growth, open up riverfronts to the public and preserve the valley’s inspiring beauty and natural resources.
We are guided by these enduring principles:
- Outstanding quality of life is achievable only when a clean, healthy environment is a key component of economic development.
- All citizens have a right to outstanding quality of life, including access to our Hudson River, to open space and to participate in community decision-making.
- Our natural environment is an irreplaceable source of spiritual and artistic vitality and must be preserved forever.
- Under the direction of the director of land use advocacy, manage advocacy planning projects that advance Scenic Hudson’s overall strategic objectives.
- Perform outreach to expand community capacity and conduct collaborative planning initiatives intended to help stakeholders identify a vision consistent with Scenic Hudson’s award winning riverfront planning guide, Revitalizing Hudson Riverfronts .
- Evaluate and analyzing riverfront developments that threaten to degrade natural and visual resources, promote sprawl and consume open space. Prepare written comments and deliver testimony on proposed development projects.
- Working with local officials, developers, stakeholders and other Scenic Hudson staff, provide for proposed development sites alternate designs consistent with Revitalizing Hudson Riverfronts (RHR) principles that promote “Smart Growth” and livable waterfront communities.
- Educate the public and local decision makers about sprawl and its impacts on environmental quality and quality of life. Analyze the trends and communicate them to the public and the media through white papers, op-ed pieces, newsletter articles, forums, etc.
- Develop models, graphics, visual simulations, and maps using a suite of design and mapping software, such as GIS, Adobe Suite, Google SketchUp, AutoCad, and other 3/D programs Develop planning models and guidelines for application in riverfront communities to serve as innovative place-based solutions to curb urban sprawl and protect the Hudson Valley’s exceptional resources and quality of life.
- Build local and state support for implementing policies to promote smart growth and prevent sprawl from consuming open space and degrading air and water quality.
- Work with Scenic Hudson’s Land Acquisition Team to protect legacy landscapes and working farmland.
- Work with Scenic Hudson’s Conservation Science Team to enhance air and water quality through the implementation of sound planning principles that promote Smart Growth and RHR principles.
- Complete other assignments as deemed necessary.
Full time, with competitive salary and benefits. Send resumé and brief writing sample to: firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please. Scenic Hudson is an EOE promoting cultural diversity and excellence
Scenic Hudson seeks an experienced urban designer/planner with 3-5 years of experience and technical design skills to proactively critique and shape waterfront development in the Hudson Valley based on “smart growth” and sound waterfront design principles.
Master’s Degree in urban design, architecture, planning, or related field is required; AICP is preferred. The qualified applicant must be creative, possess vision, and demonstrate outstanding communications and outreach skills. Knowledge of graphic programs (GIS, Adobe Illustrator, and 3/D programs). Outstanding writing and verbal communication skills. Must be able to communicate effectively to diverse groups. Committed to environmental principles. Ability to be flexible, handle multiple assignments, work well with people, available for night and weekend meetings. Experience working with developers, a plus. Job responsibilities include duties that are considered lobbying.