CNU Project Assistant Intern
Position: Project Assistant Intern
Organization: The Congress for the New Urbanism (CNU) is leading the revival of walkable, mixed-use neighborhoods. A membership-based, advocacy organization, CNU works to advance and promote the principles of New Urbanism. CNU seeks to restore urbanist design and planning techniques to common practice. CNU supports public policy that enables great place making and seeks to remove barriers to urbanism. For more information please visit www.cnu.org.
Summary: The Project Assistant is responsible for completing various tasks related to CNU’s active initiative. This person reports to the Program Manager at CNU.
Assist with CNU’s Highways-to-Boulevards Initiative:
- Research and summarize the existing conditions for highway projects tracked in the Freeways Without Futures database using demographic data, geographic information systems analysis and more
- Develop a presentation describing the conditions and opportunities for New York City’s Sheridan Expressway
- Maintain a list stakeholders and help plan meetings in New Orleans and New York City
- Develop website content, such as blog posts and forum contributions
Support CNU Administration and Committees as Needed
- Assist in developing and supporting Students for the New Urbanism groups
- Apply for continuing education credits on behalf of CNU Chapters
- Compile CNU-Accreditation packets for mailing
- Complete other requests as necessary
Knowledge Skills & Abilities:
- Knowledge of Urban Planning and New Urbanism
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Computer proficiency, including word processing (MS Word), spreadsheet (MS Excel), database (Filemaker Pro), presentation (MS PowerPoint) software in Mac OS environment. Some knowledge of HTML, basic web-design programs such as Dreamweaver and database operations (Filemaker Pro) a plus.
- Ability to prepare reports, correspondence, presentations and other documents
- Strong strategic thinking, planning and organizational skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to learn independently, take initiative, and work with limited supervision
- Working toward the attainment of a graduate degree from an accredited college or university
- Professional demeanor and an orientation towards customer service
Compensation: A modest stipend may be available.
To Apply: Please email the following to firstname.lastname@example.org: 1) A cover letter describing applicant’s goals and interests; 2) A resume; 3) Two references/recommendations (academic or work-related); 4) Two short (1-2 page) journalistic writing samples. All requested documents must be emailed to Abby to ensure eligibility.