CNU Communications Intern
Organization: The Congress for the New Urbanism (CNU) is leading the revival of walkable, mixed-use neighborhoods. A membership-based, advocacy organization, CNU works to advance and promote the principles of New Urbanism. CNU seeks to restore urbanist design and planning techniques to common practice. CNU supports public policy that enables great place making and seeks to remove barriers to urbanism. For more information please visit www.cnu.org.
Summary: To promote membership growth and expansion of principles, the Communications Intern will support the efforts of CNU’s Communications Director through the production of various communications pieces for the web and print.
The Communications Intern will work with the Communications Director to:
- Write, edit and publish press releases
- Assist with Public Relations: outreach and promotion
- Identify and post news and blog items for the website
- Design and Build Website Pages for CNU.org
- Draft monthly e-newsletters for membership
- Draft dedicated e-blasts for specific events
- Maintain Filemaker Pro database of current press contacts
- Manage email account: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Contribute to organization's social media outreach (Facebook, Twitter, etc)
- Draft event ads and work with partners to market annual events
- Create PowerPoint and Media presentations for speaking events and the CNU website(s)
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Computer proficiency, including word processing (MS Word), spreadsheet (MS Excel), presentation (MS PowerPoint) software in Mac OS environment. Some knowledge of HTML, basic web-design programs such as Dreamweaver, graphic design applications, and database operations (Filemaker Pro) desired. Experience with Drupal Platform preferred.
- Knowledge or interest in urban planning and New Urbanism
- Excellent organizational ability, in order to set priorities, organize workload, handle multiple responsibilities and meet deadlines in a fast-paced work environment
- Strong strategic thinking and planning skills; ability to discern significance of technical concepts and convey them to diverse audiences in a conversational way
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to learn independently, take initiative, and work with limited supervision
Compensation: This internship is umpaid, but can be used toward school credit.
To Apply: Please email the following to email@example.com: 1) A cover letter describing applicant’s goals and interests; 2) A resume; 3) Two references/recommendations (academic or work-related); 4) Two short (1-2 page) journalistic writing samples. All requested documents must be emailed to Abby to ensure eligibility.