Paris, France: First Parisian square that dates from 1605-1612 developed as a speculative venture by Henri IV. The square is approximately 465 feet square face to face, and is surrounded by an arched arcade and uniform "pavilions" whose coded facades were possibly developed by Metezean. The closure ratio is quite low (1:9) but effective because of the wonderful street lights, wrought iron fence and vegetation. the square directly influenced Inigo Jones at Covent Garden and others in England as well as others in Europe and the United States. Itself influenced by the earlier Italian squares such as Piazza SS. Annunziata in Florence. The "T" street configuration, though providing wonderful corner closure, prevents the value of the square itself from extending significantly into the surrounding neighborhood.
Credits: Russell Bloodworth photo of Turgot map 1739