Paris, France: Built by Henri IV in 1605 as a speculative development where a uniform four story facade was imposed upon all purchasers. The buildings were possibly designed by Louis Metezeau, An evolution of the renaissance arcaded square (see SS Annunziata in Florence). There is the "big house" effect in the way the residential units are linked into more massive proportions. The proportions of the arched arcade openings are the lowest of the later Parisian squares. Their width varies from 8 feet on the west side to 9.1 feet on the north side forming a 1I1 raio when measured to the spring of the arch itself. The approximate height of most paviliions is 42 feet to the cornice line and 54 feet to the height of the roof beyond. The ground floor of these residences is now primarily devoted to restaurants and shops.
Credits: Russell Bloodworth